Friday, September 9, 2016

Reflections - Assignment 1, 2 and 3

I actually wrote this earlier in the week when I was sick, fed up and very pissed. I thought it encapsulated a lot of what most people will feel throughout the module, so instead of sanitizing the post... I decided that I shall let it go live!


Assignment 1

Thankfully over, after a lot of sleepless nights. It was a real pain towards the end and I realize now how much I hate doing UI/UX. Really a pain in Rails. Next up: To learn a front end framework I can throw on top of Rails to save my soul

Assignment 2

This one was rather chill - just the presentation and criticisms. Didn't manage to comment on as many posts as I wanted to - will explain later.

Assignment 3

We're honestly quite out of ideas and it's quite a pain trying to think of some. Group seems fine (cheers guys, if you're reading this). It's quite foreign territory to me and I hope this goes okay. Anyway we've chosen to do WishPool - more details to come!

Overall week Summary

If you haven't taken this module, are thinking about it, and somehow chance across this - here's the real cost price of this module -

1. Your health
2. Your sanity
3. Your relationships

I'm really pissed now cos my body can't keep up with all the shit that's blowing up atm. Not to mention there's still a FYP I need to do which I haven't done crap for. So. If you're not prepared to blow up everything else don't take the mod. Ran a nasty fever, headache, sore-throat and a completely messed up nose for the past 6 days.

Now if you're willing - Lessons learnt:

1. jQuery and VanillaJS will not survive doing frontend work. Really. Too much work to do simple cute stuff

2. Finally learnt about Facebook's JS SDK and signing in, passing the code to the server and exchanging that for a long-term token. Really interesting.

3. Also learnt about token-based authentication this week as I set up the RESTful API for Assignment 3. Wow, that's tough. Like either you use a library or you just cry setting the headers all the time. The headers change after every session - just wow.

2 comments:

  1. Take a good break from CS3216 and rest up well first. Congrats on completing Assignment 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW just learning a front end framework (I assume you mean CSS since you are talking about aesthetics?) won't save your soul. You need to learn it and wield it well too. I have seen many sites still look horrible despite using Bootstrap.

    ReplyDelete